Win XP Home Disk Check Stops Netscape7 mail

Nottingham 15:07 08 Sep 05

Can some kind person advise on how I can get my Netscape 7 'mail' working again ie linking to the net and my email provider. A Blue Screen disk check gave the message below. I can still connect to the internet and my virgin.net isp/email provider, but since XP did some 'truncating' I can't use my Netscape/Mozilla browser's mail to connect, collect, store or send emails - its dead. I've spent a whole day and two nights searching the website for a clue on how to get things back to normal - but no joy. Thank you.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001

Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is FAT32.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.Windows will now check the disk.

The size of the \Documents and Settings\VEC\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\6wm6gn52.slt\localstore.rdf entry is not valid.
\Documents and Settings\VEC\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\6wm6gn52.slt\prefs.bak first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
\Documents and Settings\VEC\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\6wm6gn52.slt\panacea.dat first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
\Documents and Settings\VEC\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\6wm6gn52.slt\prefs.js first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.

Yoda Knight 18:38 08 Sep 05

Look for a folder called FOUND0001 (or similar) your files might be in there

Nottingham 20:58 10 Sep 05

Thank you Yoda Knight,

I think I have now found where my files/folders are for my Netscape Mail. I only have to work out how to put the correct path in the preference,Mail& Newsgroups - Mail Start Page 'location'pathway. I think all my data is lying on my hard drive but mail cannot get the directions to it from me since blue screen went in there truncating.

Regards,

Nottingham

woodchip 21:03 10 Sep 05

Why not ether reload Netscape or do a System restore to before the Disc check

Nottingham 22:14 10 Sep 05

Thank you Woodchip,

I tried the restore approach first but this didn't work. Failing coming to some way of directing Netscape mail to the virgin.net email service I think staring again will be my only option. Ive got to get out of 'playgroup' level on this topic and save my email data. Understanding is coming together but very slowly.

Regards,

Nottingham

Nottingham 20:57 12 Sep 05

Dear Yoda Knight and Woodchip.

Re-installed Netscape 7.0. I have now found out why my Netscape mail could not link to my ISP and email provider. Needed some adjustment to entered title of 'in' and 'outgoing' mail server.

Still can't find my mail addressbook though so still on the hunt.

Thanks for your comments. Made me feel that I wasn't sat here on my own with not enough knowledge to move forward or even dabble.

Regards,

Nottingham

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…