Win XP Home cannot access volume start-up problem

stevenjwatt 22:31 14 Jul 04

I've recently had a problem with my new(ish) windows XP home edition PC that I hope someone can help me with.

A while back I scheduled an error check on the C drive. Since then, whenever I start the machine, I get the warning that it cannot access the specified volume and is stopping the start up.

I have managed to run the chkdsk through the recovery console and have run fixmbr but this does not solve the problem. I cannot even run the defrag anymore since it says that a disk check is scheduled and that I should run chkdsk /f (even though the help says that the switches are /p or /r).

Thanks in advance!

Yours Sincerely

Steven Watt

stalion 22:35 14 Jul 04

try booting in safe mode,keep pressing f8 when the first load screen comes up.Then try last known good configueration.

Androcles 22:52 14 Jul 04

It sounds like another Zone Alarm problem.Go off the net uninstall ZA,reboot machine,and reinstall ZA.

stevenjwatt 23:48 14 Jul 04

I tried the last known good method first but this was unsuccessful - in fact it took so long to pass the start-up screen I thought I was in real trouble. However when I uninstalled zonealarm, the error check ran fine.

I was wondering if there were any better(?) free firewalls that would not cause similar problems in the future (I'm unemployed so can'y afford to buy new software yet)

Thanks in advance

Steven Watt

Androcles 00:18 15 Jul 04

Good to see it worked.Now go back to ZA 4.5 you can download this at the Zone Labs site.Enter a search on the site for ZA 4.5 and you will find it on the second page item 16.This version is also free.

Chegs ® 02:06 15 Jul 04

I realise you've ticked it but here's a collection of firewalls,some free ones too.I found ZA could give more trouble than its worth,especially the latest version but others swear by it.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…