Win XP Home backup - will not write to my CDRW

Supa-Sparks 00:48 30 Jan 04

Trying to backup my Registry files using the Backup Utility, prior to a manual unistall of NSW.

On pressing "start backup" all I get is an error message telling me that the backup file name could not be used "G:\backup.bkf" (where 'G' is my CDRW) It also goes on - Please ensure it is a valid path and that you have sufficient access.

Please could someone tell me the correct 'valid path' to use - thank you.

Bye the way, the box - 'Backup destination' is greyed out with 'File' in it and a tick in the drop down list.

ahales42 00:53 30 Jan 04

I don`t think xp supports backing up to cd or dvd. try a third party prog.

Supa-Sparks 23:47 30 Jan 04

Ahales42 - many thanks for your quick response to my question. Since your response I have checked the Backup utility Help files, and it would seem that CD's, Tapes, Floopy Discs & Hard Discs can be used as the media for backing up.

neko 16:47 31 Jan 04

hi

I think ahales is correct, you can't back up to cd or dvd or at least to a lot of makes.

I cannot do it on XP home or on XP Proffessional with two different makes of CD.

It will be interesting if anyone else knows how to.

Why not back it up to the desktop and save it to CD from there using XP or something like Nero?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…