Win XP Home

thomps2 19:33 11 Sep 05

I had a major brake down on Pc 14 months old from PC world
The mother board had ceased to breathe (RIP)i purchased another board and processor put my h/drive back into the system and XP home(OEM) would not boot so i reformatted the drive and loaded a copy of XP home (Friends and his product key) but i am asked for the actidvation codes (Not Product Key)but i get no were can i use my friends Copy but put my product key into the request then get an activation code for it as i have no disk for my copy it was on the PC s Harddrive only

Giggle n' Bits 19:37 11 Sep 05

This is Illegal Piracy.

You will need to buy a new Windows XP Home CD with a new Licence.

You will also need to Format your HDD as the older drivers from when older motherboard will cause problems but if you need work of then try a Repiar for a quick entry to get your work of then clean install with Format.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:25 11 Sep 05

can i use my friends Copy but put my product key into the request then get an activation code for it as i have no disk for my copy it was on the PC s Hard drive only

Into a slight grey "area" here, however you do have a valid licence to use XP on "that machine" using your product number.

User-312386 20:28 11 Sep 05

It sounds as if you had an OEM Licence and not a full retail one.

I would use your friends XP CD and use your Licence Key. When it asks to activate i would then call Microsoft and explain the situation as it jusy may not activate

thomps2 19:14 12 Sep 05

Thanks
i have already reformatted my machine since the new board and processor but unable to obtain updates my machine has a licence number for win xp home but the software was on the hardrive (OEM Version) No disk were supplied or image disks for the hard drive
what i wanted to do is reformatt the drive again use my friend XP Home cd but use the Licence number on the machine case that i have as it would have not been activated as the image was put on my the manufacter (Packard Bells OEM Version) Will this work is what i was asking??
Dave

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:40 12 Sep 05

Yes it should work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…