Win XP - Freezes on Hibernate

FCD 22:28 02 Jul 04

I have a dual boot Win ME / Win XP system which I have run for over a year. I use it mainly for internet and office work. I have used the hibernate function [both manually and automatically] regulary without previous problems. However, tonight I found that the system freezes whenever I select hibernate either through the power switch or the timed function. I see the screen which says that the computer is preparing to hibernate at which stage everything freezes - screen, mouse and keyboard.
My only option is a manual re-boot.

I can use the normal shut down without problem.

I have tried restoring to an earlier time without success and would be very grateful for any other options which might help to sort out this odd failure.

Rtus 22:56 02 Jul 04

check bios & general system settings to ensure nothings altered there..have you plenty of free space ..this freezing can start happening if the systems starting to get clogged with temp/un-needed files try a good clean out & defrag then try the hibernate sequence again..assuming you havent updated any sound /video drivers

FCD 12:36 03 Jul 04

Many thanks. I also checked the MS KB and found that the exact symtoms were caused by NERO CD ROM v5 and 5.5 - which I installed and appeared to work ok a few days ago. Removed Nero and all now back to normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…