Win XP - Directory Paths in Registry

Blott 17:45 23 Feb 05

I am trying to remove a virus (PWSteal.Banker.B)from a computer (Not this one !) running Windows XP. The machine is a couple of years old and as far as I am advised the OS has not been upgraded since.

The virus removal instructions for registry edit include --->

"Navigate to the key -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MPRServices\TestService "

On the machine I can get as far ar the "Control" directory, but that does not have a "MPRServices" directory within it.
I assume that this is due to my yesterdays download of the instructions (from Symantec) being applicable to a later version of XP than I am dealing with.

Anyone any suggestions as to what the path to "TestService" might be on the older XP ??

Regards to all

Blott

micktrish 17:59 23 Feb 05

I think its only applicable to XP sp2 and or the latest update from old Bill Gates and co I remember seeing a virus removal tool update.
have you tried switching off system restore then run the anti-virus.?

skeletal 18:05 23 Feb 05

If the key isn't there...it's not corrupted. Are you sure it's not there? Did you use any removal tools that may have deleted the rogue stuff?

In the registry editor look at the tool bar at the top and click on "Edit" then Click on "Find".

Try the various search combinations (use Key first) to look for TestService etc. Try "Control" to make sure you've got the hang of searching through (it should jump to where you've already found the key).

Also search for the virus's "bits":

"lsd_f3.dll"
"LSD_F3"

etc

You may find them somewhere else similar.

Don't forget all the usual warnings about playing with the registry!

Skeletal

Blott 16:52 27 Feb 05

Micktrish, Skeletal :-

Very many thanks for your advices - gave me all I wanted to know and much appreciated.

However, watch this space as unless this forum search improves it's performance I'll be asking about registry backups before much longer.

Best wishes
Blott

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…