Win XP crashes when asked to delete a file

Amalric I 15:47 27 Mar 06

When I right click on a file and click delete Win XP goes into a song and dance, terminates Windows Explorer, then Dr Dobbs, and sometimes locks so that I have to pull the power plug out of the wall. Sometimes If I CTL/ALT/DEL and close everything I can get control again. Because of this have so many files everything is getting very slow and balkly. I have tried to the install disk to see if I can repair the operating system but there is no such option there. I am only offered the option of a complete reinstall which loses a lot of my work.
BTW: If I drag the file to the Recycle folder, it doesn't hang.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:49 27 Mar 06

click here for Ccleaner and regscrub at click here Use both progs and delete all they find then do a scan with ewido click here or windows defender.

G

ACOLYTE 15:50 27 Mar 06

What files are they?,i remember reading about some files that did this somtime ago and it was related to the divx codec.So if they are movie files that may be the problem.

Amalric I 10:31 01 Apr 06

They are just any kind of files. I have just decided to use the work around, always move the file to the Recycle bin, never attempt to delete directly.

I went through the suggestions of GANDALF. Trying to dowmload ewido produces an erroronmy machine. As it is beta I don't know if is ewido or my machine which is at fault.

VoG II 10:37 01 Apr 06

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
click here
Make sure you tick AutoClean under Scan Options.

Panda ActiveScan
click here
Make sure you tick Disinfect automatically under Scan Options.

Housecall at TrendMicro
click here
Make sure you tick Auto Clean.
When it completes, post back the full filename of any files that cannot be cleaned or deleted.

eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner
click here

Amalric I 09:35 02 May 06

I have run several cleanup programs, so many I cannot remember the names of them all. This problem has gone away, I don't know why nor why it started.

Arnie 10:27 02 May 06

"I am only offered the option of a complete reinstall which loses a lot of my work"

From the preceding statement, are you inferring that you do not have any kind of back up?

If not, at least use Windows System Restore.

terryf 11:37 02 May 06

Try acronis and make a backup for your own sake, it only takes 15 mins or so and can save a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

leedsafc 12:59 02 May 06

Interesting thread here. I have run into a few similar problems. When i was doing some video editing using Pinnacle Studio 9, messages like computer shutting down, and unable to open win explorer or My computer. I have to shut down and reboot it then takes forever to load coukld this be associated with divx codec as Acolyte suggests?

VoG II 13:21 02 May 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…