Win XP CD

Terry Brown 14:11 24 Apr 06

How many times can I use the XP Home CD, I ask because since I have installed XP, I have changed the hard drive , and put a new motherboard in (making 3 occasions in all). What happens when my limit (I assume there is one)runs out.
Terry

Aargh 14:13 24 Apr 06

If its your copy, its your licence to use it.

rmcqua 14:14 24 Apr 06

If it happens, you 'phone Microsoft, speak nicely to them, tell them your system crashed and you need to reinstall the OS. They have always been very co-operative with me in similar situations.

rmcqua 14:15 24 Apr 06

I think Terry Brown is referring to activation.

€dstowe 14:16 24 Apr 06

If your hard drives and motherboard are the same model each time then there will be no problem in re-activating although you may have to do it by phone (normally quite painless)

If you have substantially changed things then phone activation will probably be required but, MS aren't ogres and do their best to help. If they consider what you have done is acceptable, your Windows will be activated. If they don't find it acceptable, they will help out and try to find the best way for you to proceed.

Terry Brown 14:34 24 Apr 06

Thanks all for your rapid replies. I will update as necessary and hope that when the time times I will have no problems, as basicly what I done so far is to create a new machine, and will possibly change it again within a year or so.
Terry

961 14:41 24 Apr 06

This depends on the Windows XP version you have bought

If it is an OEM version you may have a problem as the software dies with the machine

If it is a retail version, so long as it is installed on only one machine you can change the machine as often as you like

As noted above there may be occasions when you will need to phone Microsoft to explain what has happened, but there will not be a problem so long as you do not try to install on more than one computer at once

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…