win xp cannot boot

ykzn 03:17 AM 17 Sep 11

I have installed windows xp and all of a sudden, it shuts down by its elf. When I tried to reboot, it won't let me and only the following message came up:

invalid boot.ini booting from C:\window NTDETECT failed

And it would boot again and again endlessly.

Now, I have tried to reboot from my windows xp sp3 cd but it wouldn't let me reach the windows set up welcome screen where I can press R for recovery. Instead, only a blue screen came up with " has been shut down to prevent damage to your system. etc etc"

I have private data on that drive, so formatting must be the last thing to do.

Please, any suggestion is welcome. How do I get to make my win xp work again? What are the causes? What should I do for it?

gengiscant 08:28 AM 17 Sep 11

Was this a fresh install,if so how recent? Is this a dual boot set-up? Did you install all your drivers, motherboard,graphics card,sound,etc?

Boot to your Windows XP disk and select R to access the recovery console. "to repair a windows R"

Enter the administrator password (blank by default). Type these commands in: COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ where X is the drive letter for your CD drive. Remove the CD and type exit. Reboot your machine and see if that has fixed the problem.

But I see you are having trouble getting far enough with the XP CD to to the above , so your only other option as far as I can see would be to remove the hard-drive,plug it into another PC as a slave,backup your files then reinstall the drive and install a fresh copy of XP SP3.

Others may have suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016