win xp boots past desktop?

mesmd 18:52 12 Sep 06

Hi,

All of a sudden, when I boot my win xp home os, it goes past the desktop and lands on the C:\ in explorer with the listings of my C: drive on the rt. side. It used to stop at the desktop.

No new programs were installed, and just the spyware, av, registry and hard drive cleanings, that I use daily, have been going on, as usual, without any unusual activities.

I can x out of the explorer screen and get back to the desktop. However, unlike dos, where modifying the autoexec.bat by removing the last line: c: then dir/w, would correct this, how do I fix this in Win xp?

What happened? Was a registry change spontaneous that edited the landing to the C: drive in explorer?

Thanks for any help to fix this nuissance.

Miles

VoG II 19:09 12 Sep 06

Check whether Explorer is set to load on startup using msconfig click here

mesmd 19:40 12 Sep 06

THANKS, VOG,

I already verified that the configuration manager had no new entries checked before my original post. .(Great Video). There must be a different route being emoloyed that is having that exolorer instruction implimented, registry?

Also, when I posted the first message that you just answered, my computer just stood idle with the cursor showing the barrel but never confirming that my post was received!! I had to x out back to my desktop. I was surprised to find your reply in my email? Is there a local issue with posting on your site or another one of my wierd problems?

I do not have a virus, trojan, or any other miscreant-scumware presently. This computer must run daily 5 types of scans for spyware, viruses, adware, rootkit revealers, and other hidden trash.

Any other ideas, now, regarding both issues?

Thanks,

Miles

VoG II 19:44 12 Sep 06

I don't have any further ideas regarding the original problem.

This site has been very sloooow at times today, so I don't think you need to worry about what happened when you posted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant