win xp boot problem

ykzn 03:22 17 Sep 11

I have installed windows xp and all of a sudden, it shuts down by its elf. When I tried to reboot, it won't let me and only the following message came up:

invalid boot.ini booting from C:\window NTDETECT failed

And it would boot again and again endlessly.

Now, I have tried to reboot from my windows xp sp3 cd but it wouldn't let me reach the windows set up welcome screen where I can press R for recovery. Instead, only a blue screen came up with "...windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your system. etc etc"

I have private data on that drive, so formatting must be the last thing to do.

Please, any suggestion is welcome. How do I get to make my win xp work again? What are the causes? What should I do for it?

gengiscant 08:15 17 Sep 11

Dual Post????

Nontek 09:13 17 Sep 11

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode? Repeatedly tap F8 during startup.

If you can start in safe mode, you might be able to try the Repair route.

Terry Brown 10:09 17 Sep 11

If you can get into SAFE mode , from run type MSCONFIG . Go the section marked BOOT and select check all boot paths. The problem seems to be that the boot path (boot.ini) is corrupted. This should correct it.

Assuming you have XP, this what you should see in the boot.ini file

[boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Terry

gengiscant 10:44 17 Sep 11

When I posted earlier, there were/are two posts.I added dual post and then replied in the other one, but it seems that this is the right one now so I have copied my response over.

Was this a fresh install,if so how recent? Is this a dual boot set-up? Did you install all your drivers, motherboard,graphics card,sound,etc?

Boot to your Windows XP disk and select R to access the recovery console. "to repair a windows XP....press R"

Enter the administrator password (blank by default). Type these commands in: COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ where X is the drive letter for your CD drive. Remove the CD and type exit. Reboot your machine and see if that has fixed the problem.

But I see you are having trouble getting far enough with the XP CD to to the above , so your only other option as far as I can see would be to remove the hard-drive,plug it into another PC as a slave,backup your files then reinstall the drive and install a fresh copy of XP SP3.

Others may have suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017