Win XP boot problem

phil #91 18:09 09 Oct 06

I have installed a new master C hard drive and upgraded from Win XP SP1a to SP2 via the internet and reloaded my software on a 3 year old AMD 3000+ machine. I am getting boot failures without error codes. Windows starts to load but after the XP splash screen, loading stops before the welcome screen appears.
I have found and corrected some errors on the new C drive with CHKDSK (unused index entries). I know it could be a disk problem or the registry but the computer mainly fails to boot first thing in the morning and usually boots OK on the second or third try. Once running the computer appears to work OK.

Could it be a faulty component on the motherboard or RAM memory which disappears when the machine warms up? This fact is making it a slow process as I can only try new solutions when the computer has been off for a good number of hours. I have tried leaving the power on over night but this did not help. Any ideas please!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:13 09 Oct 06

update drivers especially graphics.

crashing at or after xp logo is usually a driver corrupted.

phil #91 20:21 09 Oct 06

Thanks Fruit Bat - wouldn't a corrupt driver cause a crash or lock up at each boot and not just when computer is cold?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…