WIN XP After Virus/Malware infection

Jmac179 20:01 PM 17 Dec 12

I am trying to clean up my fathers ageing pc it is running win xp sp3 pro and had a virus/malware infection. I have run Malwarebytes, combofix, cc cleaner and ADWcleaner each removed infected files and broken links however since the first removal it will not connect to the internet it shows being connected to the network but weill not connect to the internet. I tried to run IPCONFIG from the command prompt but it failed stating ipconfig not a recognised command.

Any suggestions where to start?

Ashrich 23:17 PM 18 Dec 12

Quite often the Winsock and /or the TCP/IP stack can get broken after virus/malware removal , a simple repair from a command prompt can usually fix things . For TCP/IP repair , open a command prompt and type in , without the quote marks ... " netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" press enter , then , type in , again without quote marks ... " netsh winsock reset catalog " then press enter , you will be prompted to reboot , so type in " exit " press enter , then type in " exit " and press enter again , that takes you back to the desktop , reboot system and try accessing the internet again , hopefully that will help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11