WIN XP After Virus/Malware infection

Jmac179 17 Dec 12

I am trying to clean up my fathers ageing pc it is running win xp sp3 pro and had a virus/malware infection. I have run Malwarebytes, combofix, cc cleaner and ADWcleaner each removed infected files and broken links however since the first removal it will not connect to the internet it shows being connected to the network but weill not connect to the internet. I tried to run IPCONFIG from the command prompt but it failed stating ipconfig not a recognised command.

Any suggestions where to start?

Ashrich 18 Dec 12

Quite often the Winsock and /or the TCP/IP stack can get broken after virus/malware removal , a simple repair from a command prompt can usually fix things . For TCP/IP repair , open a command prompt and type in , without the quote marks ... " netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" press enter , then , type in , again without quote marks ... " netsh winsock reset catalog " then press enter , you will be prompted to reboot , so type in " exit " press enter , then type in " exit " and press enter again , that takes you back to the desktop , reboot system and try accessing the internet again , hopefully that will help

Ashley

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message