win xp advanced network sharing with win98pc

Tecno Dan 12:24 30 Jan 04

hi,

I have two win98 pc's in my house and 1 xp pc. I want the users on the 98machines to have different levels of access (permissions) to the shared folders on my xp machine.

So far I can only get the win98 accessing a shared folder if the "everyone" group is used. I have tried creating new users on the xp pc, to match up with the users on the win98 pc with no luck. When I look at the xp pro managment tools the win98 pc's are just recodnised as guests and not as unique users.

I am new to this sort of sharing by permissions, although am keen to learn.

Could anyone help me or point me to a website (i have looked, with out much success)?

many thanks

Daniel

johnnyrocker 12:52 30 Jan 04

click here see if your answer can be found if not click here and have a look.

johnny.

Chegs ® 13:08 30 Jan 04

On the XP machine,have a look thru the Help & Support on Password & Security/Networking.

Create an User account for each of the network pc's only(and Admin of course)and a seperate Shared Folder for each machine.

I think it should work,but I'm still feeling my way round XP's "niceties" over networking.

Chegs ® 13:10 30 Jan 04

and change the Users account to allow Admin....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…