win xp advanced network sharing with win98pc

Tecno Dan 12:24 30 Jan 04

hi,

I have two win98 pc's in my house and 1 xp pc. I want the users on the 98machines to have different levels of access (permissions) to the shared folders on my xp machine.

So far I can only get the win98 accessing a shared folder if the "everyone" group is used. I have tried creating new users on the xp pc, to match up with the users on the win98 pc with no luck. When I look at the xp pro managment tools the win98 pc's are just recodnised as guests and not as unique users.

I am new to this sort of sharing by permissions, although am keen to learn.

Could anyone help me or point me to a website (i have looked, with out much success)?

many thanks

Daniel

johnnyrocker 12:52 30 Jan 04

click here see if your answer can be found if not click here and have a look.

johnny.

Chegs ® 13:08 30 Jan 04

On the XP machine,have a look thru the Help & Support on Password & Security/Networking.

Create an User account for each of the network pc's only(and Admin of course)and a seperate Shared Folder for each machine.

I think it should work,but I'm still feeling my way round XP's "niceties" over networking.

Chegs ® 13:10 30 Jan 04

and change the Users account to allow Admin....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…