win XP add or remove programs

highside 22:18 25 Mar 04

Can you please tell me why when I remove a program, using add and remove in Win XP, the program and its size remain in the list of programs. Have used windows search to check that there is no such program left even though it is still in the add/remove folder?
Thank you
dj

Giggle n' Bits 22:21 25 Mar 04

what happens to be the name of this, things like Dialers, spyware like to do this.
A reg cleaner may help.

temp003 03:00 26 Mar 04

As Nite Star says, the entry for the program in the "uninstall" section of the registry is not deleted by the uninstall routine.

You can let it be, because it's not going to interfere with XP (unless possibly you need to reinstall the same program).

The best thing is to use a registry cleaner to do it for you.

If you're sure that the program has been fully uninstalled, and no other functionality relating to the program is needed, and you want to get rid of the entry in Add/Remove Programs, you can also manually edit the registry.

Click Start, Run, type regedit and press Enter.

Be careful in the registry. On the left, expand HKEY Local Machine > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Uninstall.

Expand Uninstall, and underneath it you will see a list of either program names or strings of letters and numbers such as {123ab4c}.

From the list, find the name of your program, or highlight each key one by one, look to the right. There is an item called Display Name, which is the name shown in Add/Remove Programs panel. Find your program.

Then back on the left, highlight the key "Uninstall", then at the top left, click Registry, Export registry file, to back up the entire uninstall key, call it uninstall.reg and save it as a registry file somewhere you can remember.

Then highlight the key in question (i.e. on the left, highlight the program name or the string of letters and numbers), then right click it and select Delete. Confirm deletion. Exit regedit. The item should disappear from Add/Remove Programs.

crx1600 03:36 26 Mar 04

have you tried uninstalling again, i had something left behind and when i tried for a second time was informed;

'this program doesn't appear to be installed, would you like to remove it from the add/remove list'

or something like that, clicked on 'yes' and it was gone.(in winME though)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…