Win Xp to 98 network

Malaclypse 15:42 08 Jan 03
  Malaclypse 15:42 08 Jan 03

I've got two Pcs connected back to back with a crossover CAT5 RJ45 cable.

one has XP, one has 98.

I've only recently installed Xp, and I had to reconfigure the network

I ran the "set up small network wizard" and it told me to put the Xp Cd in the 98 machine, and run the network setup wizard.
It whirred away for a bit, then asked to be reset.

When it loaded up, it said there was something wrong with my network hardware --- BUT IT WORKED.

I was able to see all files on each machine, and access internet through one machine using the modem on the Xp.

However, it only worked for about a week or so, when it mysteriously stopped working.

I tried running the network setup wizard again on both machines, but when I reset the 98, it comes up saying that "Could not find any valid network hardware, cannot complete".

I've changed the cable as well, and my network hardware (seems to be) fully installed and fuctional.

The one thing which gives me a slight clue is this:

when I open internet explorer on the 98 machine, the XP pc starts to dial up. When it's connected, only the XP machine has web access - but the link must still be active, because the XP machine knows that somebody wants to go online.

I'm tearing my hair out. I've found a few discussion groups online where people are having similar problems, but I've not found a definitive answer.

Can anyone help?

Bigtoe 15:56 08 Jan 03

I had the same problem. I found it was the firewall making the other computer invisible. I removed it, (I found that XP has a firewall built in) And lo and behold, everything started working.

jazzypop 16:04 08 Jan 03

I have found that the most reliable method is to -

1. Uninstall any firewalls

2. Run the Network Setup Wizard on the XP PC (only). At the end of the wizard, make the floppy that it offer you.

3. Run that floppy on the W98 PC.

4. Test it is all OK

5. Reinstall firewall

You can also click here and click here for further detailed guidance

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…