Win Movie Maker problem

wotbus@ 19:39 12 Nov 08

While checking out a problem for a friend, I find I have the same problem - unable to save a WMM file to CD "as a recordable CD drive was not found".
I have followed the Help instructions as far as:-
"In Processes of Task Manager, disable IMAPI.EXE" but I have no IMAPI.EXE listed to stop/disable?
Both my drives are checked out OK. I do have Pinnacle Studio 11 installed which I normally use, could this have have some relevance?
Any advice welcome, for me and my chum ;-)

wotbus@ 20:30 12 Nov 08

Hmmm, having trawled the net for a solution and read what the reviewers have said about it, I may go back to forgetting all about it and advise my mate to do the same.

eedcam 22:20 12 Nov 08

Why not choose save to my computer then burn with anything you have

anchor 09:07 13 Nov 08

Follow eedcam`s advice.

If that does not work,(which it should), then you have a problem with your CD writer, or the writer software.

wotbus@ 11:04 13 Nov 08

Hi. As I pointed out, I was only trying to use WMM to see if I could understand the problem my friend was having. He is having trouble (is unable) to burn directly to CD, which is what he wants to do and should be able to do.
I was indeed able to burn to HDD and used P-Studio successfully but my success bore no relation to his problem!
Maybe I could also have used Nero which I also have but never bothered to go that far.
As far as I know, my friend doesn't have any burning software other than that already in XP.
I have already suggested he saves to HDD then simply use the "right click/send to/[drive]" option but have yet to hear from him with regard to success or not.
My writer is 100% OK anchor.
My question initally was a bit more in depth, IE: How do you stop/disable IMAPI.EXE when it is not listed as running? This is the last piece of MS advice listed in the Help section of WMM.
There are many active forums on the net dealing with WMM and it's, ummm, idiosyncracies, and numerous posts with regard to the problem I experienced on my main PC, but found none of the responses satified it.
Incidentally, my other PC with XP has the Wizard popping up as you would expect, asking for a blank CD to be put in the drive, but it's not simply a question of "why not use that one then" is it :-)
I won't go to the trouble to find out why WMM works as it should on one of my PC's and not on the other as I have no use for it, but it would be interesting to know why it doesn't and may be of some interest to the forum.

wotbus@ 11:12 13 Nov 08

Interesting stuff when you Google "imapi.exe" ;-)
Maybe it's a corruption of this file which is preventing Windows doing it's job?

eedcam 11:57 13 Nov 08

well seeing as Microsoft's main answer is 3rd party software may be interfering with windows Lol.Treat wmm with the contempt it deserves use it export and use proper software .I have at least 8 burning software programmes and they all work happily without conflict or any configuration by me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5