Win media player - not for Win 7 64 bit ?

PIE THROWER 08:34 17 Apr 10

Hi - When trying to launch Windows media player in Windows 7 64 bit I get no response at all. There's no error message but there is if I try media center which reports that it has stopped working.

Help (please) !

Technotiger 08:58 17 Apr 10

When '7' first appeared on the scene, I believe I read that '7' and WMP were not compatible, I don't know if this has been addressed yet. Also not compatible with '7' is one of my favourite handy programs 'PicaView' ... so I am staying with XP for the foreseeable future!

kdt 09:19 17 Apr 10

my dell vostro w7 pro 64 bit came installed with wmp12. did you install w7 your self?

PIE THROWER 16:18 17 Apr 10

It came pre installed and has never worked (bizarre ?)Have reinstalled it but nothing still.

kdt 18:16 17 Apr 10

don't think MS is offering download for wmp12. try search but take care where you download it from. otherwise see if wmp11 from MS installs?

morddwyd 07:54 18 Apr 10

Two things to try - right click and "Run as Administrator" (even if you're already logged in as Administrator) or right click and "Run in Compatibility Mode".

Eargasm 08:34 18 Apr 10

Worth a try.....

1. Open Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

2. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.

3. Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Player". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

Note: If you turn off Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center will be turned off also. You may need to re-configure settings for Windows Media Center after re-enabling it.

4. Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center". Restart.

5. Launch Windows Media Player, initialize the program.

If that does not work, then Start Menu and enter "View all problem reports" and look for errors relating to WMP 12 and post back.

Eargasm 08:57 18 Apr 10

Or you can try rolling back from the default WMP12 to WMP11 here's how.

click here

Eargasm 09:00 18 Apr 10

I would not bother with my last "Click here" looking at some of the comments! Sorry

kdt 09:30 18 Apr 10

since wmp12 is a component of w7 if there is corruption of files try system file check that may repair it?

morddwyd 19:33 18 Apr 10

I am running a retail copy of Win 7 64 bit and Windows Media Player runs perfectly.

Suspect there must be something corrupt with your set up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5