Win media player 9

SSC 15:32 21 Jan 04

Hi All,

Just gone to use Windows Media Player 9 and I get the following error message in a pop up window - The file wmp.dll has a version number but was expected. Windows media player is not properly installed.

It then offers a choise of a reinstall from the MS web site. I downloaded the file, installed without any problem BUT when I try wmp9 again I get the same message.

Any suggestions anyone.

MichelleC 15:56 21 Jan 04

Try updating via WMP update, in Help (check for player updates).

tafoody 16:21 21 Jan 04

WMP is the win98/ME version.

WMP is the XP version.

which OS are you using?

looks like you're downloading the wrong version.

SSC 17:49 21 Jan 04

MichelleC - can't even get WMP to start so can't get update that way. I have tried normal updates but it says I already downleaded.

Tafoody - Thanks, that interesting. I am using XP and it WMP was working fine. Haven't used it for a few days. The only changes I have made to the system is a new video driver. Don't know why its stopped working or why I appear to have Win98/ME version. XP was a new install on a new computer (a year old).

If I can unistall it I will have a rummage for v9 on the MS site. Can't update in the normal way as it is not available as I updated from v8 to v9 when doing other critical updates. v9 worked fine then just stopped.

Thanks for the help so far

tafoody 18:14 21 Jan 04

SSC, i dual-boot between XP and ME, so thought id have a look at the corresponding version numbers, although i can't guarantee the XP version hasn't recieved extra updates, and may of began life with an earlier version number?

for the XP version click here (MPsetupXP.exe) about 9MB.

i think your only uninstall option is 'system restore', it may be worth one more reinstall over the top with the MPsetupXP.exe

SSC 18:15 21 Jan 04

Some additional info -

The file that I downloaded (as in the first item in the thread)is the correct one MPSetupXP.exe. That v9.

As I said above it installs then come up with the .2980 - .3095 message.The same as before the install

Is there any way to uninstall WMP completely so i can try installing again. Its not in the add/remove list as I presume its integral to XP.

Your frustratedly.........

gold 47 18:26 21 Jan 04

WMP9 in my view is a pain WMP8 is far better IT WORKS also you can't uninstall WMP9 unless you have a restore point if you haven't done this you will have todo a full OS reinstall what ever WMP9 is suppose todo better it doesn't or it never did for me but there you go.

tafoody 21:14 21 Jan 04

hello again, yep ive looked and was mistaken, the difference in version numbers is just between a fresh installation, and a fully updated WMP9.

as far as i know, you need to find the 'system restore' point created when WMP9 was first installed, if thats been deleted then im not sure how to remove it.

MichelleC 22:25 21 Jan 04

It's part of the os and when things go wrong with it in ME and XP the restore is the only answer before a reinstall. You could try a sfc /scannow or a repair 1st click here

SSC 08:41 22 Jan 04

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we have gone as far as we can with this so have ticked as resolved. I have done a scannow so it looks like a full repair.

Stuartli 09:02 22 Jan 04

Never had any problems with WMP9 in either Windows98SE or XP Pro form.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…