Win Med Player won't play CD's

Derek 16:47 11 Aug 04

Win ME. Working well other then it will not recognise CD Audio.
I've used it today to load some 6 various programmes. My sound card is playing away Ok. The Devices tells me that the CD Rom is 'working properly' and the setting is Autplay which it does, I've tride with Analoge and Digital but to no avail. Cables are in order.
Now the problem defined, I place a CD in the drive to play the songs. The Win Media player screen comes up OK and I get a box which says "Win Media Player encountered an error when reading CD-ROM in digital Mode Click to...etc" Changes that I make are not effective. Other boxes in the properties and set correctly or appear to be !
Previously I've had a message which read something like ...format not recognised.

Any help would be appreciated. DM

rawprawn 17:30 11 Aug 04

Sorry to ask but is the CD legal? some pirated cd's will not play. Does this happen with all audio cd's. if so try reinstalling MP9

Stuartli 17:30 11 Aug 04

I presume you've also tried analogue rather than digital from Devices>Drive(s)>Properties?

Also check that all file types are enabled from the Files tab.

jonnytub 17:33 11 Aug 04

1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Devices tab

2.Double-click the CD-ROM drive, and then in the Playback area, click Digital.

jonnytub 17:35 11 Aug 04

you could also try ticking the error correction box.

There is also this:

Why am I getting error 0xc00d11f8 - "Windows Media Player encountered an error when reading the CD-ROM drive in digital mode. You can try to use digital mode again, or you can switch the Player to analog mode."?
You need to go to the player's Tools:Options:Devices menu option, select the Properties for that drive and change to use Analog mode. If that doesn't work, read on...
I've heard that "DVD Region Killer" caused this problem for one person. They ran System Restore to get help get rid of it, and then things worked fine again.

Derek 07:30 12 Aug 04

Many thanks to all for helping.
Yes my CD's are Ok and I've tried three.

I've switched between Analogue and Digital quite a few times but to no avail.

System Restore won't help me because I'm rebuilding this PC and installing ME on a newly formatted drive(built no end but never had this prob)
As suggested I will make certain that all file types are selected.
Never had any experience with MP3's or "DVD Region Killer" since I have no DVD facility on this PC.

PLEASE keep in touch Kindest regards DM

Derek 10:31 12 Aug 04

I replaced the CD Rom drive with a new tested one but no change, the CD audio still wasn't playing with proper bought CD songs.
But, then I tried one of my own homemade CD's that I copied from vynil. And it played OK .

Thought I might re-load Win ME which I've now done thinking that I might have a file problem, I assumed that Windows Player would be replaced in the process.
Still no change but I can still play my homemade ones!
Made more investigations.....

Put a bought CD in the drive and then clicked My Comp/CD drive/ Explore the disc and the readings are;
Size - 1 KB Type - Audio Track.
(All 14 tracks read the same).These are the ones that won't play.

I then do the same for my homemade CD's and the readings are; Size (many KB's) Type - Wave Sound. And these play Ok but don't fire up the Win Player.

Please continue to help Regards DM

Stuartli 10:39 12 Aug 04

Youu might need to have a look at the licences enabling/disbling configuration from Tools>Plug-ins>Options.

Stuartli 10:43 12 Aug 04

One other thought is have you (assuming ME is similar to XP) right clicked on your CD drive and selected CDs to be played back by WMP?

Plus is AutoPlay enabled/disabled either in ME or, if you use it, TweakUI?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009