Win Me when in at/in the Desktop screen doing

Giggle n' Bits 01:09 12 Feb 03

nothing likes to connect to web by bringing up the Dial-up connection box. (Freeserve ISP).
It doesn't open ie5.5 though.

The machine has been restored to the original Factory settings using restore disk and all MS uipdates reuqired have been done.

I know its not a 3rd party programme like ISP Branding, or Virus Software needing a registration.

Anyone know of how to find out who or what it wants to connect too. ?

faichfolds 01:12 12 Feb 03

I am sorry if I am being thick, but I do't understand your question?

lacker 01:16 12 Feb 03

I think you have to read the header as part of the message Thus:-Win Me in Desktop doing nothing likes to connect etc etc.

faichfolds 01:18 12 Feb 03

Still don't get it. Must be getting late

lacker 01:22 12 Feb 03

Nor do I really,just didn't like to say so.

Giggle n' Bits 01:23 12 Feb 03

I have Win Me as the O/s.

When at the Desktop Screen, the Dial-up window/connect to ... box automatically apears at random wanting to connect to the web.

Hope all understand me now, yes getting late sorry for the confusion.

kuhbler 01:24 12 Feb 03

What he's saying is that when WinME is sitting idle on the desktop, his Dialup connection screen appears. He says there is nothing running adn is a clean install using the recovery disk.

Are you running the latest version of ZoneAlarm? There are issues with it attempting to connect to the net for the update thing and this will bring up the dialup screen. It affects Win9x/ME only. It will be fixed in the next version apparently. When it happened to me, I changed to Outpost click here Once I got DSL, went back to ZoneAlarm.

If you don't run ZoneAlarm, then I don't know what is causing it off hand!

Giggle n' Bits 01:28 12 Feb 03

No I don not have Zone Alarm, Real player, Kazaa, Quicktime, Ghopher, etc none of these.

lacker 01:29 12 Feb 03

Makes sense what you say,could also apply to other applications running in the background,that have an update facility.

lacker 01:32 12 Feb 03

Sorry, our messages crossed in the post.

kuhbler 01:33 12 Feb 03

maybe it would be worth putting ZoneAlarm or another firewall on, rebooting then when the connect screen comes up, you should receive an alert telling you that X Program is trying to access the internet. At least you may be able to work out what it is.

I'm thinking Windows Update is trying to connect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…