Win Me shutdown problems

Longhouse 23:05 17 Mar 04

Have just recently performed clean install of OS and all apps. Was working fine until started the MS updates from web.

Lost connection part way thro' but reconnected and restarted download install - all went OK. System appeared to be working normally, no glitches. However, found on shutdown that the PC would not power down in auto as it has always done (prior to the MS update download).

Shuts down OK from start button, blanks screen but now doesn't auto power off. Can power off from button (press & hold 4 sec). Don't see the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen like I used to (flashed breifly before auto power down). Get scandisk @ re-start due to failure to shut down correctly.

Have been all the way thro' MS help pages and followed instructions to the letter to no avail & searched the previous posts.

Thought I might have had a corrupted final "splash screen" logo or similar but goes OK from safe mode and flashes the message "it is now safe...."

Jetway 911AF MoBo, 256 Crucial RAM, 40 HDD, Nvidia Vanta 32 Mb, Realtek NIC, AMR modem
- all hardware OK and well proven.
OS Win ME with all latest updates
NAV 2002 - all updated
Zonealarm - current version
All drivers up to date and current

Anyone any further ideas please before I re-install?

Clint2 23:27 17 Mar 04

This may help click here

PvG 10:03 18 Mar 04

I have Norton SystemWorks 2001 and have had a lot of problems with it causing lockups. I uninstalled Norton and reloaded it to NOT run at startup but to use the email protect only. Good for today because it caught a Nevsky.
See if this helps.
Norton do not offer any support for this product now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…