win me and memory

stevedunham 20:03 24 Jul 04

my ageing pc is in need of more memory to keep up with newer software I have installed. System Summary :
OS Windows Me, version 4.90.3000
Processor, AMD Athlon™ Processor @ 898MHz
Mainboard, MSI6316
System BIOS, AMI A6316MS V1.0
System Chipset, AMD-751
Installed Memory, 256MB
Video, NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
Generic IDE Disk Type47, 17gb Internal
Quantum Fireball Cx6.4a, 6.4gb External

how much memory can Me handle?
I've heard 384 mb bandied around. If I upgraded to Xp would the board handle more?
I'm thinking of upgrading to Xp anyway and XP office as i use this at work and I currently can't run files from work at home.

bremner 20:09 24 Jul 04

click here and you will see the maximum recommended for ME is 512MB.

XP can handle up to 4GB but your limit would be what your motherboard could take.

LastChip 20:10 24 Jul 04

I run ME on 512MB with no problems.

XP handles up to 2GB (I think!) but whether your motherboard would handle that is a different matter. If you have a 900MB processor, it's doubtful the motherboard BIOS would support 2GB, possibly 1GB though.

I would beware of upgrading to XP with that processor. Undoubtedly it will run, but it will be a painfully slow experience compared to ME.

LastChip 20:32 24 Jul 04

bremner's quite right. XP will support up to 4GB and out of interest, when the 64 bit version of XP finally ships, it will support a massive 16 GB of physical memory!

Just think of it. The memory would probably cost more than the computer!

stevedunham 20:41 24 Jul 04

scarey thought.
looks like it will be a mainboard upgrade kit first then software

citadel 23:03 24 Jul 04

A new base unit with xp already installed is the best bet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…