win me as host to xp ??

jannunny 18:49 27 Nov 05

Hi,I hope someone can help :)I am totally new to this..I have just bought a netgear wireless/cable router and usb adapter .I am using ntl broadband which is on my main'host' comp ,with ethernet and which is running win me.The second comp is running xp and will be the 'client'.I have tried to get this working and no joy..even though the 'client/xp' machine showed a connection when I tried to get on the net it said there was no connection!Also it messed up the connection on my 'host/me' comp so that when I tried to go have uninstalled everything and system restored my me machine.I just want an internet connection for my son to play games on in his room.Can anyone tell me if I need to have xp on the host?If I missed something simple(I ran the networking wizards)..some other way of getting on my connection?? any help would be great..many thanks :)

Forum Editor 19:32 27 Nov 05

because you aren't running a network - you're simply sharing an internet connection. The fact that one of the computers is connected to the router by a cable is of no consequence.

If you have an NTL connection you should have a cable modem connected to a broadband wireless router. The router will then distribute the connection wirelessly to any wireless-enabled computer within range. You may also connect other computers to the router using Ethernet cable via its LAN ports.

This way, neither computer has to be on before the other one can use the broadband connection - the router makes the connection via the modem.

Strawballs 00:44 28 Nov 05

I too am using NTL broad band Via a linksys router which supplies 1 desktops and 1 laptop wirelessly and 1 desktop wired I am at this moment using an old Time machine running 98SE that I am getting up and running as a favour for a friend for their kids, all that I had to do was plug in the old NTL USB to lan adapter and connect it wired to the router and run the internet connection wizard and clicked on connect via a lan and that was it connected to the web.

jannunny 21:00 28 Nov 05

thanks people..I think it must be :0 I will try again tomorrow from scratch.I have read its best to disable the firewall which I didn't do so I will do that.:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…