Win M.E. with 6 Partitions

peter4076 09:42 16 Mar 05

A spare computer with WinME & 6 partitions ( a learning curve a few years ago)I now want to fdisk & format to one C drive & load WinXP, then I will probably network it with my other Puta running WinXP.
Question is can I fdisk with a Win98 bootdisk (60gigHdd)
or is there a better way.
Once again all help gratefully received, and acted upon.

gudgulf 10:09 16 Mar 05

Yes you can use the Win98 floppy to format the disc but I think you might only be able to format to FAT32.

You can also delete all the partitions and format to either FAT32 or NTFS with the Xp setup disc...It will give you all the format options when you opt for a full install of Xp

Take your pick.

peter4076 10:14 16 Mar 05

Are you saying gudgulf, that if I change the bios to boot from CD, that my WinXP disk will fdisk and format ALL the partitions & load the O/S as well.

ventanas 10:47 16 Mar 05

That's what gudgulf is saying. If you need anymore info on which commands to choose after booting with the XP cd post back.

What the XP cd will do is delete all partitions that you select and then give you the option to create a new one, format it, and then install XP to it.

FelixTCat 11:39 16 Mar 05

You can do all of those things, but you might like to reconsider the advantages of keeping your programs and data on separate partitions from the operating system. Backing up is much easier, as is identifying the data. You can also keep the virtual memory on a separate partition, which will prevent fragmentation.

peter4076 12:19 16 Mar 05

ventanas & FelixTCat, much obliged for the info & some more pause for thought appertaining the partitions.
I have all the information that I require so will now tick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…