win explorer unexpected shutdown

Garb 14:11 01 Apr 06

Running Win XP pro SP2

When I put the cursor on some .avi files, I get windows explorer shutting down, with total loss of my desktop although it restarts again almost straight away. Have run sfc and it still happens. Have tried system restore but the restore points that were there a few days ago have dissappeared. Any ideas?

MichelleC 14:51 01 Apr 06

Do you mean when you click on an avi or just hover cursor? Have a look in device manager for yellows.

Garb 18:01 01 Apr 06

No this is when I select the file with single click as opposed to double click to open it. No yellows in system/device manager

EARLR 23:50 01 Apr 06

I just delete the file and i dont seam to have the problem again.

Garb 00:18 02 Apr 06

Trouble is as soon as I click on the file to delete it, win explorer shuts down before I can delete it.

MichelleC 09:40 02 Apr 06

Try deleting it in safemode.

EARLR 10:33 02 Apr 06

click here
it's free
goodluck

ACOLYTE 11:20 02 Apr 06

As these are AVI files,do you have any divx codecs installed? some of these codecs course the error you mention with AVI file's when you run SP2,you would need to update the codec's are remove it.

click here

HTH

Garb 17:19 02 Apr 06

Noticed in the details in message saying explorer was shutting down that the Modname (presumably Module Name) was xvid.ax so I uninstalled the Xvid codec and things seem to be more or less back to normal. In Task Manager/processes, explorer.exe doesn't seem to be hogging the memory usage any more.
Bonus is, I followed the advice in a similar thread where explorer.exe was shutting down and ran regscrub, crapcleaner and ewido anti malware and got rid of a lot of stuff my existing equivalent programs hadn't detected.
Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…