Win Cleaner & Invalid Registry Files?

ruskle 11:49 01 Sep 05

After backing up the registry I ran Ultra Wincleaner (from Advisor disk),then Norton A/V would not run, I restored the Registry and it was OK. After trial and error I found which 4 files were deleted but still needed, starting EF097685.... I then ran registry cleaner and had to delete each unwanted file manually rather than "tick, delete all". Then backed up the reistry again, with the 4 files intact. How can I get over this, it's a bit tedious looking through maybe 100 files and ticking each one in turn.
Any solutions, Russell.

dave_and_confused 12:02 01 Sep 05

The Registry Cleaner doesn't delete files but entries in a database called the Registry.

I would just restore the files and registry and leave alone. Not sure why you are deleting files when running a registry cleaner.

dave_and_confused 12:09 01 Sep 05

Ah if you mean you are ticking the entries that point to the files then is there an option to Select All? Then you can unselect the 4 entries you don't want removed.

ruskle 12:19 01 Sep 05

Thanks Dave and confused, Your second post was the correct understanding.. Am I thick or not? It's obvious now you suggest it. I can't understand why the cleaner suggests the files are invalid, it's only the Norton A/V which suffers. been playing since 1983 but am now a bit of a silver server, well the bits that are left are silver..

Thanks again.

dave_and_confused 12:33 01 Sep 05

Not at all.

I'm not sure i would be happy with that Registry Cleaner if it removes links to "live" files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…