win 98se start up problem

djdj693 21:54 23 Jan 03
  djdj693 21:54 23 Jan 03

after my comp has "verified pool data" it goes to the windows start up list ie 1=normal 2=bootlog txt
3=safe mode etc etc down to no6.
this never happened before and means a very slow start up. I rebooted with the original disc and this did not cure it either. Is something missing or do i need extra files? Any help would be appreciated.
DJ

BurrWalnut 22:20 23 Jan 03

I would let it start in safe mode (option 3) and run scandisk. If all is OK then go into run, msconfig, general tab and tick normal startup.

Switcher 22:42 23 Jan 03

Your PC is set to start with the BOOT MENU Shown automatically it is not a fault and if you press enter as soon as this menu shows it will continue booting as normal. For some people including myself this is in fact the preferred method of starting.

However the question is why is your PC starting this way do you have TEAKUI or Boot95 installed on your PC these have options to allow your PC to start like this.

If you edit the file msdos.sys and set the line Boot menu default = 0 this should cure your problem.

djdj693 18:08 24 Jan 03

thanks to burrwalnut the normal startup selection was one so obvious that i overlooked it. I ran scandisk and there was no problems.
Thanks also to switcher - i dont have "tweak" as i have a later copy of 98 i have set the 0 and that also worked.
Great job all
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…