Win 98se re-install and upgrade problem

Agricola 15:12 10 Jun 03

I Have just re-installed Windows 98se, I did not do a completely new install, did not format hard drive etc. The installation has cleared up all the system errors I was getting and all my software appears to be running perfectly fine.

However I have a problem with updates. When I check on Microsoft update site, it tells me I do not require anything, and still shows my installation history correctly . However I know that certain updates are not running and dont show up as existing, such as Dial-Up Networking 1.4 and NET Framework 1.1 upgrades.

I then downloaded the correct versions, e.g. dun14-SE.exe and installed them manually however at end of installation I receive the message “This update is not designed for your version of windows “ and terminates install. When I check through a number of ways as to which version of windows I have they all agree that I am running windows 98se.

I reran the win98se installation and still the same results. I am now at a loss and run out of ideas, apart from a total reformat and new installation! Something I do not really want to do. So what am I to do? Is a there a way to tell Microsoft’s windows updater that I am running a very old version of 98se and that need to update everything again?

I have wasted too much time trying to solve this myself and would appreciate anyone else’s comments and help.

MichelleC 16:00 10 Jun 03

I'm not on 98 but I'm sure you can delete the win updater file, then reinstall it. This should kickstart it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…