Win 98SE - plug and play missing file "services"

Unplugged 15:41 30 May 03

Trying to install Linksys Etherfast card - Windows detects the new device, installs the drivers and during this time asks me to insert the Windows 98 SE CD-ROM, then it says that it cannot find file “services”.

I have searched the Win 98 SE CD-ROM, there is no such file on it nor is it on the Linksys CD-ROM. The Ethernet card does not get installed properly, ie has faults, is not recognised as a Network adapter.

The card suppliers (Linksys), who in fairness have been pretty helpful about the raft of problems I have had , tell me the problems are not down to them, i.e. this is a Windows issue L.

Please, does anyone know what this file “services” is, and where I might get hold of it?

With thanks in advance, Unplugged

Lú-tzé 19:11 30 May 03

I don't know; try running system file checker

start_run sfc /scannow

It might pick up on something missing.

Also check in the control panel for networking and see if it is installed. If not, go to add/remove programs and then windows setup and see if it can be added there.

Just some thoughts...

Philip2 20:41 30 May 03

When you installed your card did you load the drivers first,turn off install your card then reboot windows should pick this up.
When i use to run W98 three years ago i had this insert cd on and off i use to click skip on this .

Unplugged 21:51 30 May 03

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried re-installing several times. Latest via the install new hardware option and by tortuous means installed some additional files requested by Win 98.

I am thinking of upgrading to Win 2000 as a next step to see if that does anything.

Apologies but I have duplicated this query in another thread - "Problem with installing network card in win 98" - so will continue thread there and close this as resolved.

Thanks! Unplugged

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…