Win 98SE - OPTi Audio 16

toogie 12:37 15 Oct 05

Device Manager
Four 'OPTi 16' entries under "other devices" All have large yellow ?
How do I resolve this. Do I need a driver update and if so how do I go about it ?
Also a ! against "Secondary IDE Controller (dual fifo)" under Hard Disk Controllers.
Also a ! against "standard serial mouse" which is not being used. Should I delete ?

Finally I am still trying to find solution to “hanging” shutdown. Could all of these be related ?
I have been directed to MS patches ‘98SE-DOWN.EXE’ & ‘98SE-NETWORK.EXE’ to solve problem but cannot find them on MS site ?

toogie 13:42 15 Oct 05

An ongoing problem ref my CDRom drive has reoccured.
It has "disappeared" from My Computer".
I cannot find it anywhere. Is this connected with my problem above ?
Does anybody know how I can bring it back ? It was working on and off all yesterday !

MAJ 13:46 15 Oct 05

Did you load the motherboard drivers when you installed Win 98, toogie?

toogie 13:49 15 Oct 05

no - but from the fact you ask makes me think I should have ? I thought only the Win98SE disk was required.

MAJ 13:57 15 Oct 05

Win 98se probably had some of the drivers but possibly not them all. Go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and download the drivers and install them, see if it cures any of the problems you're having, or post the make and model of your motherboard and someone will guide you to the correct drivers. You can find out which MB you have (if you don't know off-hand) by downloading, installing and running "Everest Home Edition" (it's free). click here

toogie 14:04 15 Oct 05

Thanks, I have found the book and CD.
Will try loading drivers after I have been out for some fresh air and sunlight. Have been in front of this PC on and off for last 5 days. I'll be back

woodchip 14:09 15 Oct 05
  Klof Ron 14:18 15 Oct 05

Regarding the missing CD drive, although it's not strictly required, this may help.

Go to Start/Run and type "sysedit" without the quotes.

Bring to the front the Config.sys file

Look for an entry saying Lastdrive=Z

If it's there then okay out

If not add it, save the file and reboot.

toogie 14:56 15 Oct 05

Klof Ron
Regarding the missing CD drive, solution. Thanks, it worked. I can now set about the remaining problems with drivers.
Any idea on the MS patches for correcting shutdown ?

MAJ 15:05 15 Oct 05

The Patch you're talking about is probably the Windows 98SE shutdown Supplement, toogie.click here

toogie 18:03 15 Oct 05

Klof Ron Regarding the missing CD drive, again !
I have just used it to load my motherboard drivers, successfully, but guess what........despite the fact that the Config.sys file entry still shows DEVICE\C\WINDOWS\Lastdrive=Z the drive has gone from view ie not in My Computer !
What have I done and how can I recover it now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…