Win 98SE not detecting second HD

Ç̧ÇØ 13:36 24 Jul 04

I have a Dell xps, I have just fitted a
Diamondmax 9 160gb as a second hard drive.
The BIOS detects the drive but with the wrong capacity (smaller).
Windows explorer does not show the new drive.
It shows up in device manager under disk drives and if i try to assign a drive letter to it i can't.

any ideas.....

jonnytub 13:45 24 Jul 04

you would need to partition the drive into 2 smaller chunks using fdisk, as far as im aware 98se can only see up to 137 gb hdd's, also try manually setting the size in bios and not autodetect.

jonnytub 13:47 24 Jul 04

make sure you use a new fdisk version

jonnytub 13:48 24 Jul 04

also make sure that the jumper pins are correctly set as lot of drives allow you to cap their size by jumper position

bremner 13:51 24 Jul 04

Take a look here for some help click here**&p_li=

Ç̧ÇØ 12:00 26 Jul 04

I have connected the drive, jumpers set as primary slave, reboot with a windows start up disk.
BIOS detects the disk, says the size in 63335, i cant set the details manually.
I ran Fdisk from the floppy and only get one drive, my original c:

TBH1 12:35 26 Jul 04

when you run fdisk, does it give you option to change disks (it will if it sees the new one). If it does, change to new disk, fdisk and format it - - thou you may have to partion into two owing to limitation in size under w98se.

one word of warning - - make sure your fdisking/formatting the correct drive !!!

Ç̧ÇØ 12:40 26 Jul 04

fdisk does give me the option to change disks.
i will try this and see if it works.

ty

flyingpeterpan 12:45 26 Jul 04

Try downloading HDD disk creator Maxtor Blaster 3 Version 3.6 or later from the Maxtor website and reformat your HDD, don't forget to use FAT32 FILE if you are going to use Win98 and if Windows does recognise over 137GB, make 2 smaller partitions.

Ç̧ÇØ 09:46 27 Jul 04

downloaded Maxblast from Maxtor web site, installing the new HD took all of 5 mins....

ty everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…