Win 98SE encountering error in registry

(Wardy) 21:06 13 Apr 03

Windows keeps encountering an error accessing the systems registry. Programs close unexpectedly or crash altogether what’s going on?

Gongoozler 21:25 13 Apr 03

(Wardy), it looks like your hard drive could be getting overful. Look at this Knowledgebase article. I'll put the link in twice, once with some spaces in it in case it gets corrupted click here. http :/ /

(Wardy) 21:46 13 Apr 03

Gongoozler. Just had a look at the free space on my C drive it's over 70Gig

Tog 22:34 13 Apr 03

The only time I had registry errors and crashes it was caused by duff memory. Download the diagnostic from click here give it a go. POST memory test was passing at the time.

woodchip 22:50 13 Apr 03

Try this shut computer down to Dos, Type SCANREG/RESTORE and choose the oldest date that shows

(Wardy) 06:50 14 Apr 03

I ve had a look at repair registry from backup. Sometimes windows will load OK and others, it tells me their are still errors in the registry. Also found that when I try to play a DVD with (Power DVD) my system shuts down and reboots itself.

woodchip 15:11 14 Apr 03

Do a scandisk from Dos. shut down to Dos and type Scandisk hit enter see if it finds error's on your drive make shure it fixes them. You then need to reformat your drive and reinstall Win98 or just rerun Win98 after scandisk

woodchip 15:13 14 Apr 03

That was meant to be rerun setup of Win98 over itself

Tog 18:44 14 Apr 03

I would recommend you try a memory tester before you do a scandisk. If the memory has a problem, scandisk could rewrite incorrect data to the whole disk -if it runs.

(Wardy) 19:22 15 Apr 03

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you had to dust the laptop off to get online. I took the modem and sound card out of my desktop PC. Run scan disk (No errors found) then Reformatted the C drive, Then started to install windows 98SE installation stopped saying CAB file error also just stopped loading during installation. I thought that my disk could be bad so I had a go at installing a copy of windows XP this crashed when it was checking my hardware and just went into a cycle of crashing and rebooting. :(

Gongoozler 17:31 19 Apr 03

Hi (Wardy). I think this is becoming a trial-and-error situation. I think the best place to start is with the memory. If you have more than one stick, you could try removing one to see if that helps. You may also be able to try running the memory slower to see if that helps. If it does it would suggest that either the memory or a motherboard setting is borderline.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…