Win 98se

denali 12:17 17 Feb 04

I am running the above. This morning I switched on and the Win logo has disappeared from the top right hand corner of my screen. I have tried the usual. Reinstalled desktop themes etc. but it just sits at the bottom of my add/remove programmes shaded blue. Any help- ideas?

LastChip 13:59 17 Feb 04

Boot the machine with a Startup floppy to a DOS prompt.

At the prompt, type;

scanreg /restore

note the space between the g and /.

The program will give you the last five good registries in a the American date format MM/DD/YY. Pick a date you know your machine was working normally and restore to that.

Hopefully, that may resolve the problem.

You can also get to Dos by Start, Shutdown, restart in ms-dos.

Right click on the desktop, Properties, Background. Is Windows98 an option?

As an aside, I copied my XP background to a friends 98, now he thinks he has XP! :-)

JIM 14:49 17 Feb 04

besides the other options,

Recheck the following if your meaning the Windows 98 Active desktop Logo?

To enable or disable the Active Desktop, use any of the following methods:

Method 1

To enable the Active Desktop, right-click an empty area on the desktop, point to Active Desktop, and then click View As Web Page to add a check mark.

To disable the Active Desktop, right-click an empty area on the desktop, point to Active Desktop, and then click View As Web Page to clear the check mark.

Method 2

Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
To enable the Active Desktop, click the Web tab, click the "View my Active Desktop as a web page" check box to select it, and then click OK.

To disable the Active Desktop, click the Web tab, click the "View my Active Desktop as a web page" check box to clear it, and then click OK.

Method 3
Double-click My Computer, and then click Folder Options on the View menu.
To enable the Active Desktop, click Web Style on the General tab, and then click OK.

To disable the Active Desktop, click Classic Style on the General tab, and then click OK.

denali 15:24 17 Feb 04

Sorry to overwork you chaps. I have tried everything suggested but still the same. When I did the DOS procedure (something new I have learned) I get four good registry entries but the last one is only three days ago and I know everything was OK then. I tried them all to no avail. I appreciate this is not important but, being new to this, it is nevertheless fascinating reading all your suggestions

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:28 17 Feb 04

There was a way to turn just the logo off or even change it to what u wonted but i cant for the life of me think what it was.

Regards.

JIM 15:31 17 Feb 04

Ok back to basics:)Do a sfc (system file check) via the run command,and have your Win98 se disk ready if required.

JIM 15:37 17 Feb 04

for the wallpapr.htm.?

Click Start, click Run, type sfc, and then click OK.
Click Extract one file from the installation disk.
In the File box, type wallpapr.htm.

LastChip 15:38 17 Feb 04

Sorry it didn't work, but we now know that registry corruption (which would have been my best guess) is not the culprit.

Can you expand a little on the Win Logo? Do you mean it was part of your background (desktop) or are you referring to the Win Logo that appears in the top right corner of Internet Explorer for example?

I'm also a little puzzled by your reference to Add/Remove programs. This normally lives in Control Panel. I've just booted my experimental machine into '98se to try and see what you mean, but at the moment, I confess to being at a loss!

denali 15:40 17 Feb 04

Hi Jim
I did the SFC and it appears nothing is missing.
I don't suppose anyone knows the name of the file, enabling me to extract it from my win disk?
Again I appreciate it is not important but am finding the whole thing most enjoyable. Thank you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…