Win 98SE

jessej 10:43 27 Oct 03

My daughter has bought an old computer from a school for the use of her children. It is working quite well even though it is a wee bit out of date. There are, though, a couple of niggling little things which I hope somebody can help with.
1. When booting the window comes up showing the user as 'Viglen' and asking for a password. None is required, press ENTER and boot continues normally. Can I get rid of this?
2. In the same vein, it shows a user as Sheila, whoever she was, one of the teachers maybe, how do I delete her? I've been to Control Panel > Users, but there is only the option to add a user, not delete one.
3. Lastly, the computer was wiped clean and 98SE reinstalled before it was sold but no updates were put on. Anybody now where I can get all of the 98SE updates? Or are they needed as the computer appears to be working fine and is not connected to the internet, nor likely to be as it does not have a modem.
As always, all help gratefully received.

qbc 10:53 27 Oct 03

You can try this even though it does not always work. It worked on my PC. In control panel go to passwords and select change password. Change to a new passwaord. Restart computer and put this pass word in the logon screen. Now go back to control panel, passwords, change password. Put in the password BUT now leave the new password field blank. Restart computer and it should start normally without any password request.

Gongoozler 11:02 27 Oct 03

Hi jessej. I think this Microsoft page may help you with your Users and Passwords issues (Ive put a space after the // hoping this will stop the link being corrupted) http:// support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=click here. If your computer is working ok, I don't think it is worth bothering with any updates other than possibly the shutdown patch. I have never applied any others and haven't had any trouble except the normal shutdown problems.

jessej 11:24 27 Oct 03

Many thanks to qbc and Gongoozler. Were you just sitting round waiting for somebody to pose a question, your replies were that quick. I shall investigate both, and thanks again.

Bruce_Lee 11:39 27 Oct 03

To get rid of the password prompt when the computer starts just press Esc. When you next start the computer it should just boot straight to Windows.

If this doesn't work and you still end up booting to a password prompt, go into Windows and then click on the Start button on the taskbar. Select the Logoff option and when Windows returns you to the password prompt press Esc again and you should not see the prompt again.

If you are looking for updates and you have an internet connection use the Windows update site (there is a link in the 'Tools' menu of Internet Explorer.

HTH

Bruce_Lee 11:44 27 Oct 03

Sorry didn't fully read your post.

Most of the updates on the Windows site are security updates and are only really necessary if you are connected to the Internet.

William McGonagall 11:53 27 Oct 03

with no internet connection. It has never been updated and works fine.

I think these updates are only necessary if you use the internet. The updates contained in the W98SE CD are all you need to have a properly functioning OS.

jessej 12:51 27 Oct 03

Many thanks to all, I'm sure the problems can be resolved from what you have said. Also thanks for the advice re: updates, I had an idea they probably would not be required seeing as there is no internet connection but just needed confirmation. Thank you all again.

Gongoozler 14:17 27 Oct 03

I have used Windows 98se for a few years now. As I said earlier the only upgrade I have used is the shutdown patch (with limited success). I keep Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and my Norton Antivirus definitions up to date and have not yet had a virus on my computer (keeping fingers crossed and touching a solid lump of wood.)

jessej 15:35 27 Oct 03

Hi Gongoozler. Following yours, and others, advice I won't bother about the updates. The shutdown patch was the first one I picked up on and installed, not that it made any difference at the time. To cure the shutdown problem I had I ended up having to open up the box and move one of the jumpers so I could bypass the BIOS password. Great fun but I cured that little problem. Thanks for your help and advice.

woodchip 15:52 27 Oct 03

You will not get ride of Viglen in my opinion, as I would say it is custom bios. Unless you can find out what motherboard it is and you could download a new bios, but would think as it's an old Computer it's not worth the effort.

As for getting rid of Sheila.

To remove follow these step's closely, Go to start run type regedit and press enter, go to menu under edit click find in the box type Sheila and press enter it will bring up only one entry at a time, press delete key then click ok to confirm to go to next entry press F3 and delete do this until you get to the end of the registry. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY other than Sheila then reboot your computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…