win 98,,,,help

shaggggyyyy 19:28 29 Feb 04

I was logging on to the wife's pc, entered the password 3 times and now locked out. Did'nt realise caps lock was on.(i know im a plonker)
Cant do anything with it now, any ideas before she finds out what ive done.

LastChip 19:45 29 Feb 04

Select F8 on boot-up and boot into Safe Mode.

Re-set your (wifes) password, shut down and re-boot normally (with new password). Once you are back in properly, you can re-set the password back to it's original.

spikeychris 19:47 29 Feb 04

Must be some third party software here as Win98 will not lock you out, you just have to hit cancel.

woodchip 20:21 29 Feb 04

Something wrong as spikeychris say's you cannot get locked out with 98. Start with Win98 Floppy disc at A:\> type scanreg/restore like this

A:\>scanreg/restore pic a date before you used the computer and replace it. then restart comp and enter the correct password

R4 20:42 29 Feb 04

Or you can reboot and Press F8 several times and select the boot into DOS mode and the scanreg /restore as wood chip says.

The only real difference booting into User accounts in Win98 is mainly the Desktop program Icons and start programs available. If all programs have been installed in the default account i makes no difference as they will appear in the 'ALL Users' desktop/program start

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…