Win 98 - XP Prof (Clean install or upgrade)

Leggie 11:27 13 Oct 04

I have Windows 98 and wish to install XP Professional. I already have the XP Upgrade disk, but I am now aware that a clean install is the prefered option.

From people's experiences is a 98 - XP Prof upgrade likely to cause many problems if I go ahead with it or should I start from scratch and buy a full installation copy?

Diodorus Siculus 11:44 13 Oct 04

You can install with the upgrade you have - all you need to do is use it to format the hard disk, begin the install procedure and when asked for evidence of eligibility for the upgrade, install the 98 CD. Then it will ask you to continue so take out the 98 cd, insert xp and continue on.

If you don't have the 98 CD then I am not sure of how you proceed...

Leggie 13:09 13 Oct 04

Thanks Diodorus I didn't know that. Am i right in thinking a clean install is better?

Diodorus Siculus 14:04 13 Oct 04

Personally I think it is - some say that an upgrade is fine, but I prefer to go with a clean install. That way I can troubleshoot any problems that may arise.

Diodorus Siculus 14:12 13 Oct 04

click here

click here

click here

Some ways to make XP run better from Fred Langa click here

recap 14:48 13 Oct 04

I have found that an upgrade can lead to a lot of problems. I have to say the same as Diodorus Siculus "Personally I think it is".

chub_tor 15:47 13 Oct 04

The best advice may always be to do a clean install but let's be honest it is a real pain to do trying to make sure that all your data files are safe and then re-installing all your additional programmes plus thei updates.

I have upgraded 5 machines to date and so far have not had any major hiccups. The secret is to check for incompatible programmes before you start, use the File Transfer Wizard so that everything is safe and then follow the step by step instructions. I say go for the upgrade just for the simplicity of it.

Leggie 09:35 14 Oct 04

Thanks very much for your views.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…