Win 98 to XP networking

tom0123 12:38 18 Jan 05

I recently set up a small peer to peer network at work between three machines.Two of them running Win 98 and a new machine running XP home edition.
At first all went well and I was happy with my efforts.All went well for about three weeks.
However,overnight all the connections have refused to work and I am at my wits end trying to get everything running again.I am getting from the XP machine an error that is denying me permission to access the workgroup.
Obviously I have checked that all the machines are named under the same work group name.
I have checked the usual things like the hub connections and the NIC connections.
I am of the opinion the trouble lies with the XP machine. I remember hearing something about a protocol that works better with a mixed bag of machines.
Is there anyone out there who can help?

regards
Wayne

Kegger 13:10 18 Jan 05

Hi tom0123,
the protocol you are talking about is netbui, go into the properties button on the XP nic and select 'add' then select 'protocol' and then select 'nw link ipx/spx netbios compatible protocol'

daisy2bell 13:43 18 Jan 05

Have you checked your Firewall in case something has changed and does'nt allow access to the computer.
Just a thought, because when mine didn't work it was the Firewall

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…