Win 98 will not start

JOHNNYBGOOD 17:30 01 Oct 03

Before installing new games we removed old games and demos, this has resulted in the computer initially hanging and now when we start up it goes through a series of identifying files such as .vxd, .381 "press enter" and then eventually a message saying insuffient memory remove utilities from config sys and autoexec.bat. Then after 15sec shutsdown.

Safe or normal mode makes no difference, and the start up disk only brings up text info in dos.

Many thanks to anyone who helps

Smiler 17:35 01 Oct 03

Did you use add/remove programms when you removed the old games or did you just delete the folders & files?. If you did the latter that is why you are getting the messages about searching for files as window is looking for the files listed in sytem.ini & win.ini. Try re-installing the games and using add/remove in control panel to then remove them.

Smiler 17:37 01 Oct 03

Having read your post again it may be necessary to re-install windows as you may have remove one of the files used by windows.

JOHNNYBGOOD 17:52 01 Oct 03

Thanks Smiler, we used the add/remove. My problem is the comp will not let me get into any prgramme even in safe mode and just asks me to press enter at each message alert and then turns off at the last message. So i cannot figure out how to proceed as you suggest.

Thanks

wiznyme 18:44 01 Oct 03

Try booting into DOS, (hold down the ctrl key while booting and select command prompt only)

Type scanreg restore and hit enter.

You'll get a list of dates in US format (mmddyy) pick the latest one from when your sys was working.

If that doesn't fix it the only alternative is to reload windows.

Smiler 08:59 02 Oct 03

That should read scanreg /restore

don't forget the space between scanreg and /restore

wiznyme 18:51 02 Oct 03

Thanks Smiler,

My only excuse is senility

JOHNNYBGOOD 09:24 03 Oct 03

Many thanks Smiler & wiznyme. The scanreg /restore did not work, but by luck I managed to reload Win 98. However during install on three occasions the message "cannot find a device file ndiswan.vxd interupted proceedings and now when I start I get same message and have to press enter plus a PNCRT.DLL file is also missing.

How can I get rid of these?

The problem seemed much wose than thought as I had to reinstall drivers for network card, monitor, graphics and the whole thing still not entirely happy

graham√ 09:39 03 Oct 03

Have a look here click here

JOHNNYBGOOD 09:49 03 Oct 03

graham - many thanks

MichelleC 10:08 03 Oct 03

Restore doesn't work well in 98+. When you reinstall os over itself you have to reload drivers and updates (but doesn't always sort out prior conflicts).

2 other things to try if still not sorted:

System file Checker; RUN/ type sfc and replace files as required.

REGISTRY REPAIR
Go to Start > Shutdown, and choose 'Restart the computer in MS-DOS'

At the blinking cursor, type the following commands successively, hitting 'enter' after EACH line:

cd\
cd windows\command
scanreg /fix

The Scanreg tool will now proceed to rebuild your registry, which can take some time.

When it finished, type exit or win, followed by hitting 'enter' to return to Windows.
Ctrl-alt-delete will work as well.

You will have refreshed, compacted and repaired your Registry,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…