win 98 start up error message

Prewch 18:49 27 Oct 03

When I start win 98 I get an error message saying "unable to find driver for this printer" but when cancel printer works OK.

Hoew can I get rid of this message?

Prewch

Gongoozler 19:00 27 Oct 03

Hi Prewch. I can make a few suggestions that may help. Look in Start - Settings - Printers to see if your printer has a tick to show that it is set as the default, and if not, right click and set it as default. Have a look in Device Manager and see if there are more than one printer shown as installed or if there is a yellow exclamation mark alongside the printer, and also if the printer is shown as the correct model. If these don't help, uninstall and reinstall the printer driver.

A_World_Maker 19:04 27 Oct 03

You dont say which printer you are using? That info might narrow it down a bit :-)

A_World_Maker 19:08 27 Oct 03

also... have you disconnected this printer and no longer use it? If so, apart from being the default printer as Gongoozler says, there may still be a reference made to this device in Systems.ini and or Win.ini which windows tries to load each time, you will need to delete this manually. Try using 'sysedit.exe' to do this, you will find this in the Windows System folder.

woodchip 19:09 27 Oct 03

Go to start/Run type Msconfig press OK click on startup tab look for anything to do with your printer and remove the tick. Restart comp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…