Win 98 slide show??

muddypaws 22:15 16 Aug 03

Have burned CDR from 'my pictures' from Win XP.
Managed to open it on another machine running Win 98, but only able apparently to view pics individually. Which is a bit time consuming with 300 pic!. Anybody know if there is a 'slide show' option on 98. Couldn't find one myself.Thanks.

Stuartli 22:19 16 Aug 03

If you download the first class free viewer Irfanview, there is a slideshow option.

I use it as the default viewer for Windows98SE.

muddypaws 22:28 16 Aug 03

Stuartli. Thanks for that. So if he runs the CDR with Irfanview as default will it come up alongside all the pic icons or is it necessary to select anything once the CDR is running.
Have you link for Irfanview? if not I will search. Seem to remember seeing it mentioned on PCA recently. Cheers

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:31 16 Aug 03

click here one of the best freeware apps around.....IMHO

G

muddypaws 09:51 17 Aug 03

GANDALF . Thanks for that. Probably wont want to run it as default. So run CDR/select irfanview and presumably the viewing window comes up similar to other players with the slide show option. Anything else to do or does it start automatically? Sorry to ask for such small details, but my brother's brain begins to spin at this stage!! Muddypaws.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:10 17 Aug 03

I use Irfanview as the default for everything from playing audio to opening images. It fits in neatly with any OS and there seems to be no reports of software clashes. You have no need to have it as the default but I would recommend it for .jpgs, .bmp etc. files as it is more useful than opening them in explorer. Irfanview can literally open any file and is the only thing that can open Guy Dixons' wallet.

Running the slideshow is easy-peasey....just choose the images and you can then set time delays and various other options. You can also resize and edit images...to save me rabbiting have a look at the reviews here...click here

G

hssutton 10:16 17 Aug 03

If you require a more simple solution try uleads freeware program. click here

Stuartli 11:57 17 Aug 03

Like GANDALF <|:-)> I use the program as the default viewer - it's a wonderful utility.

But Irfanview does a lot more than just display picture images - it can also be used, for instance, as a CD player or for screening video clips; relaying information on when picture files were taken, whether flash was used, the actual exposure, resolution details and even the make and model of the digital camera used.

Full details are listed within the utility itself as to its many features, although playing around with it will reveal many of them.

For instance if you are looking through a folder of pix images, you can advance to the next one by clicking on the right hand arrow in the header (the number of pix and the one on display are detailed alongside e.g. 2/28 or 15/28).

If a pic file is too small/large to view when first loaded, the +/- symbols can be used to resize it.

As has been pointed out, Irfanview is very versatile, but don't forget to also download the plug-ins to make the most of it....:-)

muddypaws 14:22 17 Aug 03

Thanks GANDALF and hssutton for the info and link. Will have a look at uleads as well.
I'll give Irfanview a try in view of its scope. My brother really just wants something simple for a slide show, so will see how both compare.
Think you both have solved the query, but will leave open till tomorrow in case of anything else being suggested.

if You use irfanview to create the slideshow it will give you the option to save it as a single executable file (.exe) so if you burn that onto a CD your brother will only need to double click it and it will run without him having to have irfanview or any other software apart from windows.

i would thoroughly recommend irfanview and advise everyone else to look on the website under 'nice' web links for the Shell extension which when installed will allow you to convert imaged into different Formats from the right click local menu without having to open an application.

(and the Van Der Lee Unplugged filters for the filter factory)

muddypaws 15:54 17 Aug 03

horiz5. Another handy option. Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…