Win 98 running very slow,why?

LAP 22:38 15 May 04

A friend of mine is running win 98 128ram 10.1 gb. Just recently it has started running very slow, software loads up as if being built by a one armed brick layer. He has not loaded on anything recently and has been deleting progs etc via add/remove and done a defrag. No change.

Also his desk top shortcuts revert back to auto arrange after shut down. If he changes his desk top picture and shuts down this reverts back to an older one. Could this be connected to his problem?

I have checked all previous posting relating to Win 98 without any luck. Any ideas will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Diodorus Siculus 22:53 15 May 04

Check for spyware:

click here
AdAware click here
Spybot-S&D click here
CWS

Clear temp files: internet and others.

GaT7 22:58 15 May 04

Also run a 'thorough' Scandisk scan.

Strawballs 00:14 16 May 04

Has your friend got a lot of programs in the start menu(Lots of icons in the bottom right hand corner ofthe task bar) if so go to >start>programs>accesories>system tools>system information>tools>system config utilities click on the start up tab then uncheck everything that you don't need running all the time eg office , quicktime etc make sure you leave things like systray,explorer any anti virus, firewall that you may be using but if you do remove something that causes a prob you can go back in and recheck

canard 14:10 16 May 04

Empty temp internet files and slim down in and out boxes in OE any help?

Stuartli 14:48 16 May 04

Easier to type misconfig in the Run box...:-)

Stuartli 14:49 16 May 04

Then use the Advanced tab if my memory serves me correctly to remove unwanted items at Startup - reboot needed.

But leave essentials on including the two matching entries regarding "power" or similar.

johnnyrocker 14:50 16 May 04

or even msconfig;))

johnny.

woodchip 14:53 16 May 04

Or even startup tab

LAP 17:43 16 May 04

Thanks all very much I will pass on your suggestions and let you know how he gets on.. Cheers..

Stuartli 17:57 16 May 04

Great minds think alike...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…