Win 98 re-install

Bellboy 11:07 28 Aug 04

I recently tried to re-install Win98SE over itself to refresh some "iffy" files and was stopped with a message to turn off virus protection and try again.
Turned off Auto-protect in Norton and checked Bios virus protection was off, but still windows will not re-install.

Would I have to un-install Norton?

Bellboy 11:16 28 Aug 04

Or should I have switched off script blocking and e-mail protection as well?

nyleridedog 11:18 28 Aug 04

uninstall anti virus totally , then do the win reinstall then put anti virus back on, thats what i would do anyway, tell us how yer got on!

sattman 19:48 28 Aug 04

Did you close down all running programmes before installing win 98

It is especially important that Norton is closed, if you did not you can corrupt the Norton Software.

Uninstall, search and remove Norton Folders, I think there is a Symantec help on how to remove Norton completely.

Install Win 98 and then Norton.

Night Ryder 20:31 28 Aug 04

Have you considered running the system file checker? This will check all your system files and report if there is a problem giving you the option to replace any corupt files with original ones from your install disk.

To run this all you have to do is select run and type sfc then hit return or enter. I think you can also run this in a DOS window. sfc, enter.

Bellboy 10:18 29 Aug 04

I hesitated to uninstall Systemworks 2003 as it is a big download to update to current version.

I have win98 "CD" files on my "D" drive.
I accessed them using a boot floppy from the "A" prompt so no programs should not have loaded?

Night Ryder
I did use SFC and may have solved my problem.
Was surprised that it only found one file changed/corrupt/missing as I have made many changes since the original install.
Do you know if Windows update adds a new "default.sfc" file to compare with current?

Night Ryder 22:49 29 Aug 04

Im not aware of any "sfc" update however you could look at this site.

click here

You can order, free of charge the Windows security update CD. This may solve some of your problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…