Win 98 problem

Miros 13:10 30 Oct 06

I have an old laptop running Widows 98 SE that can't start up. Says it can't find WIN.COM.
It has a dual CD floppy disk drive, the floppy is kaput, but the CD drive still works, tried using the Windows 98 installation disc to do a reinstall or repair but having no joy there.It keeps going to command prompt, but I get lost there.
Can any one help please.

recap 13:15 30 Oct 06

click here if may help, do a 'Find' (Ctrl+f) for win.com to help find the post.

Miros 13:24 30 Oct 06

No when it starts up it goes to Microsoft Windows 98 sartup menu and then command prompt, there I'm lost :-(

Miros 13:54 30 Oct 06

Problem solved sending it back to my brother to who it really belongs, he says he will reformat drive !!

Wak 19:47 30 Oct 06

I have Win 98SE and can send you the file Win.com (25KB)if you wish.
It goes in C:\windows.

Miros 20:32 30 Oct 06

Thanks Wak the file could be useful, I no longer have the laptop as it is at this moment winging it's way back to my brother in Wargrave by parcel post, unlike me he is clued up with such matters having spent the better part of his working life in computers, starting in the days when they demanded a room for each computer, so I reckon he will be able to sort it out.
As it has a small screen 14inch it's ideal for a small project he is planning something to do with directional aids.
It could be even so that the file would be of use to him so if you don't mind yes send it and I can then forward it on to him. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced