Win 98 PC Crashes

talia 19:21 10 Mar 04

Hi

My mates WIN 98 machine keeps crashing after it has been running for a while.

He gets error messages like 'Fatal exeption OE has occured 017F:BFF9DFFF.

Any ideas

anon1 19:26 10 Mar 04

It will need a lot more info than that. First instinct would be to check the fam is spinning properly (processors dont like too much heat) But without at least a good description of the set up and the fault it is difficult to offer anything more.

talia 20:02 10 Mar 04

Not sure about the fault.

Dial-up connection is always there on start-up and MSN messenger is always wanting to run?

On occasions the system has switched itself on and off so I am told which could be a power problem but the PC is okay when cold and for the first 30mins or so?

anon1 08:07 11 Mar 04

The messenger bit is probably not the problem. The most likely cause of the problem is either heat (fan not working correctly) or ram gone bad (it happens) you can test the ram with a free tool click here but be warned it can take several hours to test properly. The quickest way to find out is to put new ram in or take out 1 stick at a time (if more than 1( and not edo ram))

Gongoozler 08:19 11 Mar 04

There are numerous causes of Fatal Exception OE errors in Windows 98. The clue is usually in the next bit of the message which often gives a hint as to what application is causing the error. I four friends computer is giving the exception in the same application each time, then the error could be software related. If the source of the exception is random, then it is more likely to be caused by overheating or faulty memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…