Win 98 NTLDR missing

kumarisblue 20:42 05 Mar 05

I have a win 98 machine that my son has messed up. there are two beeps on POST and a messege saying there is a moemory problem. Im trying to boot from win98 boot disk but keep getting message

'NTLDR is missing. Press any key to continue'

when i press key i get the same message over and over. Can anyone offer any help please?

octal 20:51 05 Mar 05

Have a look in the BIOS to make sure the A drive is the first drive the computer looks at when it boots. The BIOS can normally be accessed when you start your computer. You may see a reference to "setup" when you turn your computer on. It usually requires the push of a function key, such as F10, to get access to it. That "F" key varies between computers. Sometimes it's the ESC key or DEL key.

octal 20:53 05 Mar 05

The other thing you could try is to see if the computer will boot with the Windows 98 CD ROM in the CD drive.

havanajoe 20:54 05 Mar 05
  Jeffers22 21:14 05 Mar 05

Windows98 did not use NTLDR - it is the Windows NT based OS loader.

If you are getting that message drom a boot disk it would seem it is a Win2000 boot disk, not a Win98 boot disk.

Go to click here and download a Win98 boot disk with CDROM support and use that.

The starting point of your post mentions that POST reports a memory problem (two beeps as well). Try a new stick of RAM if you have one, or if you have two, remove one and reboot. Same message, remove the other and reboot.

kumarisblue 14:06 06 Mar 05

Thanks for advice. I have tried exactly as you say and taken memeory sticks out ...rebooted...replaced and rebooted etc. No joy. Im still gettin the same 2 beeps on startup and a message saying '164 memory problem'. Any other ideas?
Im sure i am using correct boot disk as downloaded from the address you have given me. Still says NTDLR is missing. Is this machine ready for the big computer graveyard in the sky?

Thanks for your time.

pk470 14:13 06 Mar 05

Hmmm as has been said W98 does not use NTDLR!!!!!
you must be using the wrong boot disk.

GRFT 14:27 06 Mar 05

I got this message during the installation of Windows XP, which I believe is quite common. In all my years with 98SE I'd never heard of it. So it definitely looks like a boot disc problem.

bluesbrother 14:29 06 Mar 05

You can get this error message if you are upgrading from Win 98 to Win 2000 click here

bluesbrother 14:31 06 Mar 05

And XP click here;en-us;314057

kumarisblue 15:34 06 Mar 05

Have tried other boot disk.....should i try to fdisk with a dos boot disk?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…