Win 98 and NTFS access

Simsy 17:36 09 Oct 06

Folks,

I now that win 98 can't, normally access files on a HDD that is formatted NTFS...

However, whatabout if the HDD is in an external enclosure an is connected to the PC via USB.

In this instance would a Win98 machine be able to see the contents, as it's getting it via USB rather than the internal EIDE cable?

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:39 09 Oct 06

NO

Simsy 17:43 09 Oct 06

Thanks. That seems rather unequivocal and definite!

Regards,

Simsy

Confab 17:58 09 Oct 06

click here

Confab

Simsy 21:45 09 Oct 06

The reason I asked is slightly complicated...

I'm just helping a mate get setup with his first PC, a laptop. I'm also setting him up with an external HDD, (actualy a normal eide HDD and an enclosure), for backup purposes...

There's been a problem with this extenal setup, which has now been resolved by the shop supplying it, but in the process they have formatted the HDD as NTFS...

That wouldn't normally be a problem, but I think the user intends to share this with his folks, who I'm pretty sure have an older machine running 98 or Me.

I'm going to try to reformat the disc as FAT32 in the morning, but if I'm unsucessful then what you've suggested may be a help.

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 09:24 10 Oct 06

I managed to reformat the drive as FAT32 using Partiton Manager.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…