win 98 not defragmenting!!!!!

sam jones 19:17 25 Oct 05

i have a desktop running windows 98 and i havent ben able to defragment it for about 18 keeps getting to about 5% and then saying that the drives contents has been canged and that it is restarting.But im not running any programs or doing anything else with my computer atall so why is it saying the drive contents have changed. anybody have any ideas??? they would be much apreciated.

splork 19:22 25 Oct 05

This will stop all running processes and allow the disk to be defragmented. click here
If your disk is more than 90% full it's going to take a long time and won't make much difference.

octal 19:22 25 Oct 05

Try defraging in safe mode. It is also quicker if you install the Windows ME defrag, I'll see if I can find a download for you.

octal 19:28 25 Oct 05

You can download a copy from here click here

Chegs ® 19:35 25 Oct 05

On my laptop(233Mhz CPU) it was taking upto 12 hours to defrag a 4Gb HD,I tried the Win ME defrag,but it still took an eternity,so I ended up using DisKeeper-Lite,it only took around an here

Ellion 13:46 26 Oct 05

In Windows 98 you must shut off everthing running before defragging. First call up task manager (ctrl+alt+delete) and one at time end all processes except systray and explorer. After you have stopped everything it should defrag ok.

Wak 16:23 26 Oct 05

And don't forget to Switch OFF your Screen Saver!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…