win 98 missing files help required guys

rmn 00:12 01 May 03

i installed win 98 se on dual boot today everything went fine until i was installing drivers not sure wether it was raid or lan when 98 boots up after the boot magic screen it goes black then says windows registry or system ini file refers to this device file but the file no longer exists if you deleted it uninstall application or reinstall application (i did not uninstall anything or delete anything) (vnetsup.vxd)press any key to continue.when i do get same message this time file (vredir.vxd) then (dfs.vxd)then after a little wait it boots to desktop but just before it puts the icons on it says (unable to load msnp32.dll cannot find file some of microsoft networking may not work. does anyone know what .vxd files and how to put them back.also i cant find msnp32 dynamic link library on the win 98 disk to replace it any ideas welcome darren p.s. win 98 seems to work ok without these files but the black scxreen is anoying and slows down booting

beeuuem 00:30 01 May 03

Try extracting the missing files you have named from your Win 98 CD through System File Checker. Although you can't see the files in a search they are probably there -just hidden

beeuuem 00:53 01 May 03

Microsoft say that you can extract msnp32.dll click here from the 98 disk. I tried - to see if it would work - and my system won't find it. But you can download it from
click here

rmn 01:00 01 May 03

got the dll do you know what the .vxd files are i think i might have replaced them with newer ones which would account for the problem.if i new what they were for i could probably remove the offending driver.cheers darren

MAJ 01:01 01 May 03

Go to Control Panel > Network, click on "Client for Microsoft Networks", then click the "Remove" button. Reboot your PC, go back to the same place but this time "Add" "Client for Microsoft Networks". You will need your Win98se CD. Reboot your PC and hopefully that should rid you of the error messages, rmn.

beeuuem 01:14 01 May 03

It's good job that somebody is awake around here!
Definitely time for bed -it is only a couple of days since you gave me this solution via the 'nutcrusher' posting.

MAJ 01:18 01 May 03

Hi beeuuem, I looked for that thread to save myself typing it out again, but as you say, it's late, I couldn't find it. Definitely time for bed.

beeuuem 01:30 01 May 03

Goodnight MAJ. I was sure that I had made a note of the solution, it's nowhere to be found. Of course, that assumes that it is filed under a memorable name. :-(

rmn 01:42 01 May 03

thanks for that i did a google search and got that one but will try it the other ones to do with editing the registry i dont think ill mess with that cheers daren. p.s. have a nice kip you lucky people im on nightshift.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…