Win 98 / IE6 / How to downgrade to IE5.5

Jester2K II 11:55 23 Sep 03

User has upgarded a Win98SE box to IE6. NTL hates it - now freezes when on line.

user wants to downgrade to IE5.5

I have IE 5.5 SP2 on CD, is it easy to remove IE6 (without 3rd party tools) and then get IE 5.5 back on??

MAJ 12:10 23 Sep 03

Is the usual Add/Remove option of reverting to the last version, not available, Jester2K II?

Jester2K II 12:25 23 Sep 03

Not sure til i get to the PC!

I've found IEEradicator but bit worried about using it.

I've got XP so i can't test whats going to happen under 98SE either.

So you can usually roll back using Add/Remove Programs??

MAJ 12:56 23 Sep 03

"So you can usually roll back using Add/Remove Programs??"

Just thinking again about it Jester, that might only be an option with 5.5, but check it out anyway, click to remove I.E and see if you get the three opions, Remove, Repair, Revert.

MichelleC 13:44 23 Sep 03

Here's one way:

If you try the described method and "Restore previous..." is diabled, find the file iemigrat.dll and rename it to iemigrat.old. Reinstall Windows over the current installation (you will lose no data), then install Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2.

woodchip 13:54 23 Sep 03

You do not want IEEradicator, It's 98LITE45.EXE to remove IE it will clean it without any problems the comp I am using now does not have IE as i use the above to clear it. You can then restore it from the disc you have. This will not remove Outlook Express if you want to restore the old version of OE go to Add Remove Windows Setup and remove OE from there , make a backup of E-Mail first

woodchip 13:55 23 Sep 03

PS if you cannot find the file I can E-Mail it to you

Valvegrid 13:59 23 Sep 03

I'm using IE6 on Win98SE and it runs faultlessly. IE6 does run as an independent program, so it can be removed from the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

I would suspect he has another program that is conflicting. Just a thought, you say he is on NTL, if he has a program called CorrectConnect that comes on the NTL CD, uninstall it, it’s a constant source of aggravation.

Jester2K II 14:36 23 Sep 03

I'll look into that - not popping over for a couple of days yet though...

Jester2K II 14:59 02 Oct 03

Done. Just uninstalled using Add / Remove Programs back to IE%.5 SP2

Jester2K II 14:59 02 Oct 03

Cheers all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…